Wrinkles and fine lines are a natural part of growing older, but many people begin to notice these signs of aging long before they reach their golden years. While it isn't possible to completely prevent fine lines under eyes or forehead wrinkles, it is possible to lower the likelihood of premature aging and diminish existing imperfections' appearance. Read on to learn how to get rid of under-eye wrinkles and other signs of aging by approaching the problem from the inside out as well as the outside in.
Fine Lines Vs. Wrinkles: What's the Difference?
Fine lines and wrinkles develop due to aging, but the terms are not synonyms. Fine lines are small, shallow marks that develop on the face and neck. Often, people first develop fine lines on the forehead and under the eyes and around the mouth. Over time, fine lines can deepen into wrinkles, which are more noticeable folds or creases. Under-eye, forehead, mouth area, and neck wrinkles are the types most frequently observed.
Why Do Fine Lines and Wrinkles Form?
Fine lines and wrinkles develop due to changes in the skin. The tissue is supported by structural proteins that include collagen and elastic. As you age, your body naturally produces less collagen. This weakens the support network and reduces the firmness of your skin, making lines and wrinkles more likely to form. Free radicals found in ultraviolet energy, pollution, and elsewhere can worsen the problem by destroying collagen fibers. Often, exposure to free radicals is the primary cause of forehead, mouth and under-eye wrinkles and lines in younger people.
How to Get Rid of Forehead Wrinkles and Under Eye Wrinkles with Collagen
Experts often recommend collagen for wrinkles and lines. Let's delve into what it is and why it can help support a more youthful complexion.
What Is Collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body, and it also is found in many animals. This protein is a critical component of skin and cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and bones. Your body synthesizes collagen out of amino acids found in your diet.
How Does Collagen Reduce Wrinkles?
A small number of studies have shown that collagen diminishes the prominence of wrinkles and fine lines. Those who champion the use of the protein believe that increasing your collagen intake can supply the body with more amino acids to convert into structural protein. Supporting collagen production may improve skin elasticity and firmness to make wrinkles less deep and fine lines less apparent.
How Do I Get More Collagen?
Collagen is present in some foods like red meat and fish. However, foods may not be the best source of the protein. When you eat collagen-rich food, your body must first break it down and absorb all of the amino acids that it contains. Those amino acids then need to be reassembled before use. Because of this, supplements may be a better source of collagen for skin, wrinkles and lines because it’s a more direct resource of the specific amino acids necessary for collagen production. Top-quality supplements contain collagen already broken down into chains of small amino acids that may be easier for the body to utilize.
How Do I Choose and Use Collagen Supplements?
To choose and use collagen for forehead wrinkles and other signs of aging, follow these tips:
- Look for products that contain more than one type of collagen. Ones with protein from multiple sources, such as cows and fish, may be the best collagen for wrinkles and lines because they provide a complete amino acid profile.
- Compare the number of dipeptides per serving, not just the amount of collagen. Dipeptides are the individual amino acid chains present in a supplement. Ones with more collagen may be easier to absorb and more effective.
- Combine collagen with antioxidants like Resveratrol to fight the effects of free radicals. Some supplements like Body Kitchen Youthful Beauty contain collagen and antioxidants to simplify supplementation.
- Talk to your doctor before taking collagen for eye wrinkles and other signs of aging. Generally, collagen supplements are well-tolerated, but some people may not take them.
- Use the supplement as directed by the manufacturer unless your health care provider gives you different advice.
Tips for Minimizing Wrinkles and Fine Lines on Face and Neck
Following these tips can help to support the action of collagen for wrinkles and fine lines:
- Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 every day. When outdoors for long periods, use a minimum SPF rating of 30 and reapply sunscreen at least once every 2 hours.
- Avoid tanning beds and sunbathing to limit your exposure to wrinkle-causing free radicals.
- Keep your skin hydrated by using a moisturizer twice per day.